Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Writing proposal

My proposal is the development of a one credit (or workshop) writing course on writing for the sciences. I see it as a four week course covering topics for someone that has already, or planning to be, in the sciences.

The basic areas to cover would include audience evaluation, rhetorical styles, use of jargon, and abstracts. I see this as a course for people that not only write articles, investigations, and position papers, but also those editing the work.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Dan, there is such a need in the sciences for people who can write clear, concise...well, anything! (It's sad that in order to look smart, you can't be clear.)

Your project has the potential of turning into something larger too. I can see training for those going into Quality with the report/investigation side versus training for scientists on how to write abstracts, articles, Study Reports, and even keeping notebooks that make sense. On top of all this, we can't forget teaching students how to write WIDs and SOPs!

Nice job, Dan!

Christy said...

I agree with Alisha: there's so much you can do with this, but I like that you've limited yourself to a few key topics. You only have a month, after all.

This is a course that I could see being offered at WC in the MPC program (and beyond).

Good idea.