So, I'm thinking that for my big huge MPC big-wig project, I'd like to develop and teach an environmental writing course. In my dreams, I'm thinking that this would be more of a "May Term" flavor - where the students spend part of the time investigating what environmental writing is (covering subjects like environmental rhetoric, scientific writing, spiritual nature writing, and the like), and then at least a week actually getting out into nature, visiting conservation sites, Superfund sites, controversial sites, wildnerness, etc. It's all still a concept at this point, but I thought this class would be the perfect place to better develop my ideas (should they be worthy of a big huge MPC big-wig project).
In this class, I think I could start the syllabus, with some general ideas of the subjects that would be covered in a month-long May Term course - or, if it would make more sense, a 3 credit or even 1 credit graduate or undergraduate course. I'm curious as to what Christy thinks will work best for my MPC Project, and how I can translate that into my project for this class. Excited for thoughts from others as well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Heidi, your plan for your MPC project sounds great, and a syllabus would be a perfect place to start.
I love this idea--it's definitely something we need.
I'm thinking it might make a good May term class for two reasons: first, it will be easier for you to actually teach it (we have more rotating May classes than MPC classes); and, second, I see this as a cross-discplinary class. It's something that we could pitch to biology majors, as well as our environmental studies friends and English majors.
As you know, May terms classes are 2 credits and run for 4 weeks--6 hours a week. For our class, I think you might want to focus on writing the syllabus, the major assignments, and maybe your lesson plans for the first week or so. For a field project, you might consider finishing this and then transforming the class into an MPC 1-credit. Then you'd see the alterations you as the teacher have to make when you switch audiences and contexts.
I have other ideas, too. We can talk more about the field project later, if you'd like.
Since this is a cross-disciplinary class I wonder if something could be set up with other universities. Utah State being an agricultural school, it seems you could guest teach there? The idea of the class is fantastic - I think you would have many enthusiastic students - you could also slant it as a foray into the social constructionist camp if you need to sound really scholarly.
Thanks for the comments and ideas - I'm really excited and was thinking it could be something I could do at the U or elsewhere - or even modify for a summer workshop for high school students.
I'd really like to do some kind of immersion experience - getting the students out of the classroom and spending maybe a week out in the field somewhere. Do you think a May Term class would accommodate this?
I think a week-long out-of-classroom experience would be pretty ambitious and perhaps involve more logistics than you might end up being willing to arrange.
I remember guest instructor Tom Wharton had us "Travel Writing" students go outside the classroom for about an hour and come back and write something about the experience. Just that little out-of-class time produced some fascinating results. I hung out at the bridge by the library and wrote about the natural setting plus some students' conversations. Maybe you could think small (or short) and expand and lengthen later.
Post a Comment