Sunday, July 26, 2009

Modules and Assignments

So, for my Environmental writing course, I've decided to separate it into three basic modules, based on Killingsworth and Palmer's model of environmental rhetoric. They basically say that all discourse related to the environment falls in or between three camps: nature as spirit, nature as object, and nature as resource. The first camp encompasses Thoreau and the like - the folks who find enrichment, spirituality, and inspiration in nature. The second camp looks at nature as something to study - so basically, scientists, and to some extent, the government. The third camp looks at nature for it's value to humans - industry, agriculture, as well as government.

I have thought of some readings for these different areas, but mostly I want to be sure I have writing assignments that will build off each module, and was hoping for some feedback.

The first module is the easiest for me - have students keep a nature journal throughout the semester (perhaps once a week), where they go out in nature and write whatever they wish (whether poetry, personal musings, responses to reading or freewriting). I thought it might be cool to use a blog for this, but perhaps the writing would be too personal? I just thought students could also post photos of the places they go to write.

The second and third modules are a bit more difficult. I have thought of assignments that could apply to either (or in some cases, all). For example, I'd like to have students visit 2-3 sites over the semester, whether they are nature preserves/wilderness, proposed developments, Superfund sites or perhaps someplace where scientists are working on water quality, bird counts, or something similar. Another idea is a research-type paper (perhaps modeled on environmental journalism) written on a controversial environmental issue, which could encompass both science and resources - but with the goal of avoiding "ecospeak", which is the kind of polarizing rhetoric that frames many environmental debates in an "us vs. them" way. Another would be a paper that would compare and contrast two texts chosen from the three camps - comparing how a nature as spirit writer might approach the environment differently from a nature as object writer, for example.

Any ideas on other good assignments, or ones that would apply to (and therefore further cement) the object and resource camps?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think accompanying the first unit with free-writing is an excellent idea. Blogging seems like a better discussion forum for your second two units.

Christy said...

Hmmm, what about an assignment that asks them to analyze the web sites of various groups. Not only could you then incorporate web literacy as a learning objective, but you could get them to do some rhetorical analysis in terms of a particular discourse community. (I'm thinking something similar--but far less complex--to what you did with the BSA information last semester.)

Hide said...

Christy - I had thought of having an oral presentation componenet where they explore an environmental nonprofit and how they write about the environment, how they use or don't use ecospeak, etc. Focusing on their internet presence would be a great idea!