Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Yet another project proposal

I have been talking with Christy about what I will do for my project. And what I keep coming back to is that I want to find something that will allow me to work with information that will, at some point, be helpful, and therefore pertinent, to the needs of professional writers. So, what I am really looking for is something that I can take to them that will help them improve their skills (while improving mine).

With that in mind I am considering putting together a bibliography of sources for “effective writing for new media”. I will search, read, and annotate sources that are specific to that subject, then evaluate how those sources might be used to teach professional writers to write more effectively in those media.

So to get things off to as fast a start as I can, does anyone know of, have experience with, heard vague rumors in long forgotten texts or dusty tomes, about sources for learning how to write effectively in new media?

1 comment:

Christy said...

Deliverables will be the annotated bib, right? How many sources are you estimating? And what kind of information do you intend to put in those annotations? I’m assuming it will be a summary and an evaluation. This would also be an opportunity for you to talk about how you might “teach” the concepts that the sources provide.

Here’s an academic source you might find useful: http://www.amazon.com/Rhetoric-Cool-Composition-Studies-Media/dp/080932752X.

This one is older: http://www.amazon.com/New-Media-Introduction-Terry-Flew/dp/0195508599/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210801382&sr=1-7.

Here’s a practical guide: http://www.amazon.com/New-Influencers-Marketers-Guide-Social/dp/1884956653/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210801503&sr=1-12.

Also, you might look at textbooks. I sometimes use this one in my professional writing class: http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Visual-Age-Lee-Odell/dp/0312394977/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210801362&sr=1-2