Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Finding Your Voice Outside of Your Voice

I have always struggled when it comes to my voice (inside my head) versus the context I am in when my voice in my head tells me what to think. One example is:

School--How many times have you heard a teacher or professor say something that you don't believe is accurate? In my head there is a voice saying B.S. but rarely do I come out and say B.S. If anything--and it almost always depends on the professor--I will ask a question or something more P.C. instead of what my voice tells me. This to me is context. The professor is how you treat a customer in business; they are always right, right?

Voice is a hard concept to understand because it really involves two central factors, how you encode the voice and how it is decoded by an audience. When I speak of a voice in my head there is no doubt that I encode and decode it to my personal understanding. This is not so easy to do when you have an audience other than yourself. I would consider the best way to develop an understanding of your voice is to consider different ways of showing your voice. In our multi-media savvy days, you can use images and videos to show what you mean through your words. Many times people will understand an image or clip better than they understand your voice. I have heard people tell me stories and say, “you just have to see it”. What they are really saying is, “you just have to see it to understand it.” So use the tools we have today and take your voice out of the context of a voice and put it into other types of communication as a way to effectively communicate and find your voice outside of your voice.

No comments: