Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Final Project Proposal

As I hope to teach English in Japan or Korea later on in my life, my final project will analyze an ESL instructor’s teaching methods for two classes. I decided that because I want to teach in Asia later on, the Asian Association of Utah would be the ideal place to shadow an ESL teacher. I talked with the ESL teacher at the Asian Association of Utah and obtained her consent to sit in on two of her classes.

In addition to taking notes on the instructor’s in class teaching methods, I plan to review a copy of the class syllabus and written assignments. Following the second class, I will interview the teacher about ESL specific teaching methods as well as the communication challenges that occur when the instructor and students' have different native tongues. After I sit through two classes, conduct an interview, and review the teacher’s written materials, I will write a paper that analyzes what I learned about teaching ESL. In this paper I will cover the effectiveness of the instructor’s teaching methods and suggest changes to the syllabus based on if I had been teaching the class.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Deliverables, then, will be the “report” where you discuss the results of your analysis, observation, and interview, correct?

Since you are the only person covering ESL—and that’s a big area of writing instruction—you could write the report to the rest of the class. What do we need to know about what it takes to do ESL instruction? What tips can you provide for us?

Also, keep in mind that if you suggest changes for the existing class, you’ll want to provide rationale for those changes. Be sure that you talk to the instructor about why she made those particular choices.

Sometimes you may find that the choices were based on expedience or past experience or some other factor that you didn’t know about. t’s helpful to find out why teachers make particular decisions. Experience often guides us!