Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Project Proposal

I've decided to combine this project with a goal I've had at work. I've been running into some VERY ugly emails and even uglier account notes. I've spoken with my boss and we've decided that something must be done to improve our communication.

Here is the plan: I will formulate two "team meetings" or classes to help our department recognize what needs to be done to make our writing more professional. I will write a lesson plan for each class and try to cover the following topics, if not more:

Grammar and Content
Tone and Audience
Legal Language (AKA covering your butt in the workplace)

We decided that it would be best for me to formulate the lesson plans then meet with my boss for approval and cooperation. I plan to gather specific examples of "what not to do" from our actual database of emails and notes and present them to the class.

I may not be able to actually present the classes until next month, but I will have at least one (more likely two) meetings with my boss to go over my plans and make sure they fit with her expectations. I also plan to revise the lesson plans after we give the classes and see how we can better achieve our goals with regard to our department and others in the company.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Deliverables will be the lesson plans for those three areas, then? What length are you estimating? And how detailed do you think these plans will be? Will you include all of the handouts, PowerPoints, and other collateral that you think you’ll need to teach the class? It would also use if we knew a little about the skill level of your audience. What kind of writing training do they have? (Are they excited to learn? Or pretty unmotivated?)

Erin said...

The deliverables will be: 2 outlines for 30 minute classes. The outlines will include attention activities, Power Points, handouts and plans to follow up after the classes are given. I will meet with my boss before the final week of class to get her insight, so the final project will also contain assignments (such as a timeline for actually giving the class and who will present what) and her insights into our department. Most of the people I will prepare this for have have competed high school and some college and are not interested in furthering their skill set.